Our Parents’ Association AGM took place in October. At the meeting a new board was established. The board is now made up of:
Chairperson: Barry Murphy
Secretary: Mark Dunne
Treasurer: Annette Prud’homme
Committee Members: Joanne Murphy, Elaine Doran and Paul Mernagh
We sincerely thank Tara for her work as secretary and Paul for his work as treasurer. Their time and dedication is very much appreciated.
The National Council for Curriculum and Assessment is conducting a review of Relationship and Sexuality Education in Primary and Post-Primary Schools.
It is seeking the views of teachers and parents on this topic and has prepared an online survey for parents, post-primary students and teachers. If you have a few moments to complete the surveys below, this would ensure that the review is as comprehensive as possible.
Who We Are……The Parents Association of Davidstown Primary School operates under the rules and guidelines of the NPC (National Parents Council). The parent association is the structure through which parents in a school can work together to help provide the best possible education for their children. The parent association works with the principal, staff and the board of management to build effective partnership between the home and school. Partnership between the home and school is important – with positive and active partnership we can help provide our children with the best that primary education can offer.
All parents whose children attend Davidstown Primary School are automatically members of the Parents Association. In order to organise and run activities a Parents Association Committee is in place with officers and members. An AGM is held every year in October. If you don’t feel you have time to join the Committee but would like to help out, we would be delighted to have your help as a volunteer helper for some of our activities during the school year. We try to keep meetings to once a month/six weeks during the School term.
Please Note: The Parents Association is not a forum for complaint against any individual, teacher, parent or school policy. These issues should be taken up directly with the school and not through the Parents Association.
What We Do….Each year we endeavour to provide the school with additional resources which are beyond the scope of the Schools funding. We also support the school by helping out with events such as looking after refreshments, organising talks for parents and assisting in any way we can.
Just to give you an idea of what we have achieved most recently…
- We hosted a fundraising Race Night and a Tractor Run/Vintage Day to raise funds to paint the exterior of the school
- We have funded a Graded Reading Scheme for the Junior Infants to 2nd Class pupils.
- We host an annual fundraising Table Quiz which is also an opportunity for Parents to meet in a social setting.
- We organise volunteers to help with the setting up of the Pastoral Room and serving refreshments after the First Confession Ceremony.
- We organise volunteers to help with refreshments at Grandparents Day.
- We organise Communion/Confirmation/End of Year Gifts for Staff as a token of appreciation from all Parents in the school.
- We organise volunteers to help with serving Hot Choc and Gifts at the Christmas Carol Service in the School on the last day of term before the Christmas break.
- We help with the running of the Annual Book Fair in the school.
- We assist with the running of the School Sports Day in June – provide a barbeque for
children and staff along with ice cream and refreshments.
- We assist with the School Christmas Concert.
- We assist with School Graduation Day.
- We organise School Communion, Confirmation and Graduation Certificates.
- We organise a Class Photo for all departing 6th Class Students.
- We are working closely with the School to assist with the redesign of the school garden, planting, installation of sensory area and Green Schools Initiative. Volunteers always welcome!
- We liaise with NPC to organise information talks on topics which we feel Parents would be interested in. Suggestions for information talks are always welcome!
- We liaise with the Principal/Board on a regular basis in order to provide as much support as we possibly can.
We would love to see as many parents as possible at the PA AGM in October – a note with details of same and a text from the school will be circulated in the coming days.
If you would like to come on board the Committee that would be great.
If you are not in a position to join the Committee just yet but would like to go
on our Volunteer list that would be wonderful. If you can e-mail us your name and contact details that would be a great help.
Thank you to all the Parents and Staff of Davidstown Primary School and we look forward to another productive year and most importantly a great year for the pupils of our school.
Davidstown PS Parents Association.